Categorized | Samantha Baker

2506 Southfork St. Fire


Springdale firefighters respond to a house fire Wednesday, Aug. 28, 2013, at 2506 Southfork St. in Springdale. Siding on the house north of the structure fire was melted because of the heat from the fire. Capt. David Kissinger said residents inside the home evacuated the house before fire crews arrived and there were no injuries.

I have been to my fair share of house fires in the last two years here, but I have never seen a fire like this. I was on my way into work when I got a call from my editor about the blaze. I saw the black smoke from I-540 while traveling north from Fayetteville and wondered what it was when my phone when off. The house looked already destroyed when I arrived at about 9:25 a.m., approximately 15 minutes after the call came into the Springdale Fire Department. It is amazing how fast fire can burn through a house (and how hot it can be – the house next door was also damaged). I was happy to hear no one was injured in the blaze but it was sad to see parts of someone’s life destroyed in a matter of minutes.

To purchase images from this gallery, please click here.

About

I'm originally from Colorado and I was introduced to photojournalism in high school while working on the school's yearbook. In 2011, I graduated from Colorado State University with degrees in journalism and art. This is my first “real-world” job, but while in college I worked for CSU's daily student newspaper and I interned for Denver-based Westword, the Colorado Eagles (ACHL hockey team) and Johnson and Wales University. I cherish analog photography and I like to shoot on a medium-format Mamyia RB67 whenever I can. While I'm not at work, I enjoy doing all sorts of physical activities, especially mud runs and Crossfit, and I love to bake desserts (which are usually consumed by my coworkers).